Not so long ago, I was scouring the internet for information on product and general liability insurance for our goat milk skin care line. Most of the general liability insurances offered did not exactly match what I was looking for. Every business needs to have business general liability insurance. General liability insurance provides coverage for both defense costs and determined damages. Therefore, if you or your products cause or have allegedly caused bodily injury or property damage to a customer, you are covered.
If you are an artisan who produces your items by hand you might qualify! Why do you even need insurance? Well, this is an easy answer to protect you, your family, and your personal belongings. Let’s say you produce handmade lotion and someone has a reaction, they may be able to sue you. Even worse you and your business may be liable!
According to their website, the following crafts are eligible.
- Fine arts, paintings, drawings, pottery, sculptures, carvings
- Cosmetics, perfume, fragrances, essential fragrance, base oils, waxes, powders, glitter, and even nail polish
- Crafts, quilting, scrapbooking
- Soaps, lotions, shampoos, bath salts, bath bombs, scrubs, and masks
- Wearing apparel
- Wickless wax melts
- Annual Sales less than $100,000
- Lip Balm
Ineligible crafts or arts:
- Children’s toys, Play-dough, or Slime
- Drugs, pharmaceuticals, vitamins, supplements, invasive products, suppositories, or nutraceuticals
- Ingestible products, including food, drinks, or toothpaste
- Medical equipment or devices
- Plug-in electrical products
- Products requiring a prescription
- Saddles, harnesses, or horse furnishings
- Sporting goods or equipment
- Tattoo Artists
- Tobacco products
- Weapons, knives, or ammunition
- Currently, the program is available in all states except AK, DE, DC, HI, ND, RI, SD, WY, NH.
Purchasing general business and product liability through the Handmade Artisans Risk Purchasing Group insurance program saves you money on insurance premiums. How? You will be a member of a risk purchasing group. Which consists of individuals and businesses involved in similar business activities, namely products made by hand. The company has negotiated substantial premium discounts on behalf of its members from the insurance carrier. Handmade Artisans Risk Purchasing group is underwritten by Cincinnati Insurance Company. No matter what insurance you choose make sure to research how much coverage is appropriate for you and your business.
If you would like more information please contact – The Handmade Artisan Insurance Group or visit their website.
6860 West Snowville Road
Brecksville, OH 44141